Adding a user decision step to a standard workflow

Scheinoha John Scheinoha.John at basco.com
Fri Feb 13 11:09:03 EST 2004

Kathleen,

   I read your new twist and you might want to consider what
implications this twist would have regarding an audit for
Sarbanes-Oxley.  Currently, my company is finishing a preliminary audit
for Sarbanes-Oxley.  The two main workflow areas they looked at were the
approval processes for Debit/Credit Memos and PO Requisition Approvals.
What they are looking for is "Separation of Duties" (a requester can't
approve his/her own request).  I'm not sure, but your new twist might
have a problem with the auditors and "Separation of Duties".

Just a thought,

John Scheinoha
Briggs & Stratton Corporation
(414) 256 - 5136
scheinoha.john at basco.com

>>> Kathleen.Bradshaw-Long at getronics.com 02/12/04 03:11PM >>>
        Hello all,

        We are implementing workflow for purchase requisitions.  We
are
on SAP release 4.6C and the ESS Portal.  Some of our users will create
requisitions in SAP and some will create them in the portal. We do not
have SRM and are using a customized version of the IAC MEW0
transaction
to create the requisiton in the portal. So far, in our workflow
testing,
we have copied the standard workflow template WS20000077 for overall
release of a purchase requisition.

        Everything is working fine in terms of the release stategy,
our
worklfow test model, and the HR Org. structure we've created.  The
'possible agents' are receiving and executing work items as expected.

        Here's the new twist.  Our management wants us to minimize or
eliminate maintanence of  the Org. structure and complicated
(multi-level, multi-release group) release strategies. We are trying
simplify our release strategies so that all of our business units will
have only two levels of release approvals ---one approver from
Operations and one approver from Finance.

        Additionally, we want the requisitioner to choose an
agent/approver for the workitem.  Then, when the initial agent
approves
the requisition, we want the initial approver to  choose an agent for
the second level of approval.

        My question is, do we insert a user decision task in the
workflow in order to make the requisitioner the first recipient of the
work item so they can choose the agent?  And if so, can you pass along
any tips or suggested reading about inserting a user decision task in
copy of a standard worklfow template?

        Kathleen Bradshaw-Long
        BP/IS

        Kathleen.Bradshaw-Long at getronics.com