Event Type Linkages set to "Do not change linkage"

Michael Pokraka workflow at quirky.me.uk
Mon Apr 19 06:16:43 EDT 2004

Hi Helene,
The difference between them is what happens _after_ an error occurs:

In my experience 'Deactivate linkage' should never be set as a production
default. It means your linkage is deactivated and no more workflows will
run, subsequent events are lost until you reactivate it by a transport fr=
om
dev.

'Mark linkage' is a good idea, however I personally think badly implement=
ed
as you can't unmark the linkage without a transport. It means that no
workflows will be started after a linkage error, BUT the events are store=
in the queue.

'Do not change' simply stores the errored event in the queue and continue=
to process any following events as normal. Thus only the errored events a=
re
stored in the queue and successful ones will still start the WFs.

In my opinion, you need to have a definite reason to use 'Mark linkage',
e.g. if workflows are critical and you're paranoid and want to stop the b=
us
on any hint of a problem (outgoing invoice processing?); or if you have a
batch scenario where you're starting 100's of flows together and/or have
system load issues that may cause a problem if things go wrong. You can s=
et
these individually in any case.

Cheers
Mike