How do the SRM-EBP Approval and Spend Limits work

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Tue Apr 13 02:39:24 EDT 2004

Jerry,
It's the usual ... more options than you can poke a stick at.

Basically its an either/or choice depending on what best suits your organisation.
That is:

Either: Use the organisational hierarchy to set spending/approval limits (which lets you set it at organisational unit level, inherit to or override at lower org units/positions) if your spending/approval limits are aligned to your reporting structure.

Or: Use security roles to set spending/approval limits (with the option of overriding the values in the user master) if your spending/approval limits are aligned to user authorizations.

It doesn't usually make business sense to use both approaches in the one system.

It is explained in the SAP library help doco for SRM - have a look at the help.sap.com site under Cross Industry Solutions if you can't find a copy locally.

Spending limit - what you can spend in your own shopping carts without requiring approval
Approval limit - up to what limit you can approve when other shopping carts are sent to you for approval (used to decide if we need other people involved in the approval scenario or not).

Hope that helps.
Jocelyn