Best practice on deleting users?

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetilk at statoil.com
Mon Sep 1 06:14:44 EDT 2003

You don't *have to* delete the users. From an authorization perspecitive it
is sufficient to prevent them from being used by setting the validity
period. This has the additional advantages that user names are not reused
for different people and that consultants (don't they always come back) can
get the same user name again.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn

                    Michael Pokraka
                    <workflow at quirky.me.        To:     SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                    uk>                         cc:     (bcc: Kjetil Kilhavn)
                    Sent by: SAP                Subject:     Best practice on deleting users?
                    Workflow
                    <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITVM
                    A.MIT.EDU>

                    22.07.2003 17:51
                    Please respond to
                    "SAP Workflow Users'
                    Group"

Hi all,
I'd like to know what you'd consider 'best practice' in deleting users and
handling related workflows - and of course offer some of my thoughts.
One could for example lock an ID and forward WI's for a certain period -
e.g. one month. What is an acceptable period / how useful do you find it?
One site I worked at had orders that regularly ran over 5 years, so it
didn't really help too much.

One reason I'm asking is that my current site has a tricky combinbation in
that they a) don't use HR, b) delete users immediately upon leaving and c)
are a heavy workflow user averaging around 60,000 WI's /day.
Even with the use of HR however, the situation remains where an agent is
determined according to things like the creator of a document, a
requisitioner, person who confirmed a T/O etc... all these are stored in a
table and will thus at some point refer to users no longer in the system.
At the end of it we thus end up replacing nearly all of SAP functionality
with custom methods, roles and attributes and spend a long time working out
routing strategies and getting tangled up in 'what ifs' and 'but the
Italians do it this way' and developing 'dynamic agent determination in
case of failure' loops and just generally having fun patching 50-node
workflows... should this all really be necessary?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mike

this message.