Reading data from email back into container

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Tue Oct 21 04:31:16 EDT 2003

Hi Mat,
Has this been discussed with your SAP account manager? If the 3rd party is going to affect R/3 system data - and that includes passing back data into R/3 - they have to be covered by a license somehow - even if a generic user is to be used. This is no different than trying to use the system for employees who don't have an SAP license - it's a no-no from a legal perspective if they aren't covered by your license agreement.

As to how to do this - it's no different than the offline email reply technique used in SRM-EBP.
1. Set up your SAPConnect/SMTP link to receive mails into R/3
2. Set up transaction SO28 to receive mails sent to a nominated reply address to a handling routine
3. In the handling routine parse the email and update the work item
4. Make sure that when you send out the original item you include the work item, the decision, and date.

How you are going make it look attractive at the 3rd party end will be interesting as I presume you don't have any control over the mail systems the 3rd parties are using?  It's entirely probable that they won't even be able to send a parsed reply if they are using old mail system versions, e.g. before Outlook 98.

Also be aware that security over mail transactions is limited - it's far too easy to pretend to be someone else. That's another reason why this sort of offline email reply technique is only recommended for use within the company landscape.

Are you sure you wouldn't be better off supplying them with a web transaction, such as a simple BSP application, and include a hyperlink to the web transaction in the email? You can use the web services technique to call the BSP application from workflow.

Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)
and co-author of the book