RSWUWFML - with attachment to launch user's SAP inbox

Nicholas Brand nicholas.n.brand at uk.ibm.com
Thu Nov 27 17:58:44 EST 2003

I go away for a day and come back to find a load of replies...thank you.

Tomasz, Jocelyn and Phil, to answer your questions:

We don't *have* to have a URL in the email to launch the SAPGUI for Win32,
N.B. NOT the Web GUI - i.e. this is not a portal/web based solution.
Our ABAPer was having difficulties sending out a .SAP file (SAPGUI for
Win32) attached to the email and was exploring alternatives.

His idea was that, when clicked, the URL would run the SAPSHCUT.EXE file
installed *on each SAP user's PC*. The URL would pass the SAPSHCUT.EXE file
the necessary parameters so the user only has to enter his SAP password in
the logon pop-up that appears when the SAPSHCUT.EXE file is executed
(*i.e.the user must enter his password*).

Phil, what is the 'open document command' you mentioned as an alternative
to the cmd.exe command?

The other approach is attaching a .SAP file (SAPGUI for Win32) to the email
with the relevant SAP parameters (but NOT the SAP password).
We can send out a .TXT file with no problems but when we try and send out a
.SAP file it arrives with most of the parameters truncated (we can analyse
it in Notepad by saving it as a .TXT file when the email comes through).
We're investigating the point at which SAPconnect handles the email to
check whether this is where the truncation is occurring.

We'll also have a look at the R3M attachment route too, though I thought
the R3M attachment was only an option if you're using SAPform based
workitems, and we're not.

And finally thanks to those that pointed me to the new version of RSWUWFML
v2 - some really useful functions as standard in this.

Phew...isn't it easy to broadcast one's ignorance on http commands and URLs
to 500 consultants simultaneously! ;-)

Kind regards,
Nicholas Brand

                      "Soady, Phil"
                      <phil.soady at sap.com        To:       SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                      >                          cc:
                      Sent by: SAP               Subject:  Re: RSWUWFML - with attachment to launch user's SAP inbox
                      Workflow
                      <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITV
                      MA.MIT.EDU>

                      27-11-03 00:33
                      Please respond to
                      "SAP Workflow
                      Users' Group"

The file cmd is not the intended use of SAPGUI shortcutz.

As an attachment with no logon details. Just the object/tcode to be
launched.
The user is the prompted for logon.

SAPGUI Shortcutz already support the piggy back on SSO2 ticket when used
in the portal environment. You "just" need to generate the shortcut
properly.

A version of RSWUWFML that can do this is expected soon.
(Cue Alan....)

For more details on SSO and Shortcutz see the Security papers on the
Portals website
at SAP.

I don't recommend people send shortcutz externally.
(Mail firewall should remove them on outgoing mail) .

If people are supposed to logon with a the WN32 gui to SAP from outside the
extranet,
then perhaps this ok.  But I would look to have this start as an open
document command
not as an explicit file://cmd.exe

WebGUI is more common is such scenarios. But if you must send the shortcut
externally,
and use WN32 gui, then if the user has a gui, surely his PC should
recognise the shortcut
as it does .doc or .pdf
Surely the short cut can be opened in the same manner a pdf ?
Perhaps I misunderstood something here but I don't see why it is
necessary to use a URL instead of an attachment.
 Is it necessary to use a URL ?

I feel uncomfortable with URL that commences file://cmd.exe

regards
Phil

Phil Soady
Senior Consultant - Business Technologies
Professional Services
SAP Australia
Level 1, 168 Walker Street, North Sydney 2060, Australia.
M   +61 412 213 079
E   phil.soady at sap.com