Role Responsibilies with boolean

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Tue Nov 11 17:47:56 EST 2003

Robert,
You can use boolean values in responsibility rules if you wish.

The "no responsibilities defined" is really just a warning that you haven't filled in all the details.
Don't worry about red/yellow lights. It should still work even so.

The thing that may cause you problems is another feature of responsibility rules which is a dummy option
- i.e. if you don't provide a particular parameter of the rule the responsibility rule is evaluated using
all other parameters. A few rule simulations in PFAC should confirm what is happening and whether this will
impact the way you use the rule.

The other thing is to understand how priorities work, i.e. the priorities are evaluated highest to lowest,
if a result is found at a higher priority then the rule evaluation stops at that point, only if no result is found at a higher priority will it evaluate lower priorities.

In your example priority 99 is evaluated first - and a result is found. So priority 01 is never evaluated.

Try this:
Responsibility BOOLEAN X (there's no need to specify X to X) - priority 99 - i.e. check this first.
Responsibility BOOLEAN * (i.e. the wildcard) - priority 01 - i.e. this is your default.

This should solve your problems and get rid of red lights if you don't like using them.

Otherwise you could also have a responsibility for BOOLEAN X and a responsibility for BOOLEAN (space) at the same priority, live with the red lights, and it should still work.

Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)
and co-author of the book