pros and cons of delegation

Weaver, Karen Karen.Weaver at Sonopress.com
Fri Nov 7 15:49:15 EST 2003

One advantage of using delegation can occur during upgrades.  If SAP adds
additional methods, attributes, etc and you use delegation, then these are
immediately available to you.  This can be a disadvantage if you do not
follow standard naming conventions.

Another advantage to using delegation are the nested objects.  From within
one object, your attributes that reference extended objects have your new
developed attributes, methods, etc. available.  For example, I have extended
BUS2044.  Inside my extended object zBUS2044, I created an attribute called
zControllingArea which is based on BUS0004.  I have extended BUS0004 and
created a new attribute.  Since I use delegation, I can reach my new
attribute in zBUS0004 through BUS2044 even though zControllingArea points to
BUS0004.  Delegation gives me immediate access to all the new developement
in zBUS0004 without any changes on my behalf.  The same would be true if I
had an SAP attribute in BUS2044 that was based on an object that I had
extended.

I have develop workflows with and without delegation.  This biggest
developement issue that I had was having 2 subtypes for one supertype and no
delegation.  As new attributes and methods were developed for one subtype,
they were needed for the other subtype.  Since there was no delegation at
all in the system, I was doing double work for each new method and attribute
that I developed since I had 2 subtypes.

After starting with no delegation, I now prefer to use delegation.  The
developement process is simpler.  Since I begin all new attributes and
methods with 'Z', I can tell by looking at the object in workflow design
which are mine.

Hope this helps.