Role Resolution Error

Soady, Phil phil.soady at sap.com
Thu May 8 11:04:11 EDT 2003

The Topic Role Resolution. Time for a group discussion ?
The MOST important aspect of building and planning workflow development
is probably Role resolution.

If done properly it be used over and over again in Workflows.

The more workflows the more the return.
There  is of course the initial overhead in building the role resolution.
However, as all WF admin folk will tell you, a good role resolution,
will pay for itself with the saved time in error handling and correct
and timely delivery. Ie No unnecessary deadlines, missing agents etc

When defining your role resolution, consider the following:
o How is the manager / approved determined.  (relationship 012 ?)
o What is the next level up. When Manager1 not found or escalation occurs.
o How many levels up to go.
o Is there a fall back group/person / job etc

When is a manager considered to be appropriate before going up a level.
Should exclude oneself !

Position not vacant? (008 exists)
Employee on Position not terminated?  (i0000-stat2 value)
Active Employee on position not on leave ? I2001 records.....
Is the employee currently assigned to another position? (Higher duties or other duties)
What substitution policy is to be used?  Is A210 used... is HRUS_D2 used ?

In other words the topic role resolution is bigger than first one might expect
and should also consider substitution.

Your role resolution tool can and should be used for escalations.
It can consider some or even more aspects than above.
But spend  more than 10 mins time thinking about it!
If you make the function appropriately,you have ALL business rules in one place,
for ROLE Resolution and Escalation.

Phil Soady
Senior Consultant
Business Technologies