Development Landscape

Van der Burg, Jeroen JA SITI-ITPSEE jeroen.vanderburg at shell.com
Wed May 7 03:50:13 EDT 2003

Hi Bill,

There are a couple of serious drawbacks to a multi-development system =
approach. One of the main issues is how to synchronise your systems =
after changes in your production stream.=20

This can be done either manually (loads of admin overhead and delays for =
even small changes on your production stream; and serious consequences =
if a typo or mistake is made during the sync effort) or automatically =
(with transports, which obviously has a high potential for overwriting =
any release stream developments).=20

>From personal experience I would never decide for such a landscape setup =
due to the overhead costs, administrative delays and risks with your =
next go live that will be the result. That is not to say that you will =
not experience any problems when trying to implement major developments =
in a one-stream environment, but at least these problems will not result =
in a major waste of resources as they are focussed on the end goal =
(getting stuff correctly implemented into your production environment) =
and not on non-value adding overhead like transport procedures, =
regression testing and transport management teams which will only =
increase the cost base of your project team.

In a one-stream environment with major developments underway Workflow is =
the least of your worries as, due to the versioning and triggering =
functionality, it is not difficult to prepare a major new workflow =
development, test it extensively and only have it replace the existing =
functionality on production after you are completly happy with it; while =
still being able to maintain the existing workflow during development of =
the new functionality. The abap developers do not have those options and =
have to be intelligent (or try to convince their customer that, yes, he =
really really really needs an extra development stream to reach the =
deadline for release 2 blahblahblah).

I am unclear what you mean with 'duplicate workflow numbers', when new =
versions are transported to your production environment they will just =
become new active versions of the workflow task definition.

Hope this helps,

Jeroen