Transporting 'Overwrite originals' option. Where? 4.6c

Thomas Maue TMaue at sial.com
Fri Mar 7 11:34:24 EST 2003

Rick,

Now I  follow what happened.  You can delete the transport
on QA since it never moved.
Try transporting from Dev to QA again and take note of the
template version in each system.

|         |           Rick Sample        |
|         |           <Rick.Sample at gbe.co|
|         |           m>                 |
|         |           Sent by: SAP       |
|         |           Workflow           |
|         |           <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITV|
|         |           MA.MIT.EDU>        |
|         |           03/07/03 08:39 AM  |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           "SAP Workflow      |
|         |           Users' Group"      |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU                                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Transporting 'Overwrite originals' option. Where? 4.6c                   |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The transport source was from Dev. Target to Training, QA,
and Prod.
All transported to targets correctly except QA. This is
where I modified (which created a Transport Request)
the Task in question. We did not transport from QA to any
other client.

Since I did not transport this task from QA to any other
client can I delete the transport request
on QA to resolve these locked objects issues?

Thanks!

>>> TMaue at sial.com 3/6/2003 4:59:03 PM >>>
Rick,

Did this transport move just from QA to Production?  This
one sentence is confusing -
The transports moved to our xP0 (Production) client without
error but did not overwrite the task in the xQ0 client

I would try this procedure first (if you haven't already):
Modify the template in Dev that will assign a new transport.
Move this transport to QA and then Production.  Check if
this corrects the problem.
Note - There can be template versioning problems that occur
with release 4.6C.  See OSS note 378487

If that doesn't work then try:
Copy original template to another template in Dev, activate
and transport to QA and Production.
Deactivate the original event linkage and activate the new
event linkage, assign to a customizing transport, move to QA
and Production.
Delete the original Workflow in Dev and assigned to a
different transport.  Make sure all instances of the
original Workflow are completed before moving this transport
to QA and Production.

The transport option you mentioned is a setting the Basis
team uses when moving transports and normally is set to
overwrite.  You will not find this in the Workflow area.

Regards,
Thomas Maue
Workflow Consultant

|         |           Rick Sample        |
|         |           <Rick.Sample at gbe.co|
|         |           m>                 |
|         |           Sent by: SAP       |
|         |           Workflow           |
|         |           <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITV|
|         |           MA.MIT.EDU>        |
|         |           03/06/03 03:33 PM  |
|         |           Please respond to  |
|         |           "SAP Workflow      |
|         |           Users' Group"      |

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Transporting 'Overwrite originals'
option. Where? 4.6c                       |

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I made a rookie mistake months ago. I 'Modified' a WF Task
on our xQ0 (QA) client
that was transported from our xD0 (Dev) client. It asked me
for a transport so I created one
on the xQ0 box. The transports moved to our xP0 (Production)
client without error but did not overwrite
the task in the xQ0 client. No errors in Transport log, but
did not fix some binding errors. Dead WF!

Personal note to self: don't do it again! Lesson learned so
don't throw rocks me...Please!

Questions:
Will 'deleting' the transport on xQ0 remove the locks and
allow the new transport to overwrite?

>From a post on this list, I read about a transport option
'Overwrite originals' that I believe
is supposed to basically do the same thing. Yes?
If so, where is this option. I can't seem to find it.

Also, will I have to use this option every time I transport
that task?
Will I still have to delete the transport on xQ0 to remove
the locks?
If I delete the transport, will I have to use the 'Overwrite
originals' option?
Or am I just hosed!

Thanks!
Rick Sample