Using an external service to display a notification from the work list within the portal

Gray, Jeffrey jeffrey.gray at sap.com
Fri Jun 6 12:47:06 EDT 2003

Hello,

I am trying to send a notification to a managers worklist on the portal via workflow.  I believe handler is configured correctly because other types of transaction are working fine.

The work items for my notifications are showing up in the work list but when I try to execute them I am getting the message:

Error occurred while handling launch request
Error in reading container of workitem 0000000398237 in system HRD-nnn: The system could not read container for work item 000000000398237
Please contact your administrator; Details can be found in the component (wfx) log.  (Can anyone tell me where in the heck to find this log?????)

The Task I am using to send the work item is using BOR Object Type EXTSRV.  This is indicates an external service, but how does it know which service to execute???   How do I know what to pass it in the binding???  I know I have this thing really close to working, but I hit a wall here and would
appreciate some help.  I checked for registered services ( wf_extsrv ) to see if there is anything defined and there was nothing there.  I am also sending PCR's to the portal and they are using task TS500000075 to get them there.  I have tried to use this same task, and also modeled one of my own
after this task to try to get it to work with no luck, however, I do get different results with my own.  It asks me to enter the workitem ID but is a protected field.  It was nice not to get an error though.

I hope I have told you enough to go on.  If you know how to make this work your help would be greatly appreciated,

Jeff Gray