Structural Authorization and Object Type

Cristiana D'Agosto cristiana.dagosto at au1.ibm.com
Wed Aug 27 19:08:09 EDT 2003

G'day,

we are in 4.6c and we have structural authorizations 'switched on',
meaning that one manager (chief of an Org Unit) can only see employees and
their details if the employees are within his/hers Org Unit or are in Org
Units that report to the chief's Org Unit.

We are designing a Travel Expenses Workflow and we want to introduce the
concept of 'Cost Centre Manager'. Not necessarly the Cost Centre Manager
will be in the same Org Unit as the employee.

In previous workflows, I used to bind the whole Object Type to the User
Decision task and then I would built whatever text was required based on
the Object Type. For example, on the Leave Approval Workflow, I passed the
ABSENCE object type to the task and then I used &ABSENCE.AGGREGATE&NAME&
to get the employee's name. Because of the Structural Authorization, if I
use this approach for the Travel Expenses, depending on where the Cost
Centre Manager is sitting in the Org Structure he/she will not be able to
see the details of the employee (it will show < &ABSENCE.AGGREGATE.NAME
not found >).

To overcame that I am thinking I will have to create one element for each
reference to the employee that I need to make, for example, I would create
one element called EmployeeName in the decision task and in the binding
from the WF to the decision task I would bind the &ABSENCE.AGGREGATE.NAME&
to EmployeeName.

I know that this approach will work but I am wondering if there is any big
disadvantage of doing that? Is there a better way of doing this?

Much thanks and regards

Cristiana