how restarting a blocked workflow?

Van der Burg, Jeroen JA SITI-ITPSEE jeroen.vanderburg at shell.com
Fri Oct 11 07:17:50 EDT 2002

Good to hear that there actually do exist users which are worse then =
mine!!

Seriously, I would say you have to change your design. I learned by =
experience that the workflow (support) team should never own the running =
processes (have to take corrective actions if people do not behave =
according to their business rules, it is up to their managers to resolve =
this). If people don't process their workitems it should be their =
problem, not yours (eg by having zillions of never ending processes and =
low system performance).

My 'rules' here are that it is usually a better idea to remind the =
person who has to gain something from the process of the delay then the =
actual approver and have the gaining person take the resulting action =
(so they can be angry at eachother and do not blame the workflow system =
that the process was not completed), and if somebody still does not take =
any action after this type of reminder just cancel the process after =
sending information mails about the reason why. That should make the =
agents a bit more active next time around.=20

Again, whatever you do, the wf system should be designed in a way that =
the wf team never gets the blame or activities due to users not =
following the business rules.

Regards,

Jeroen