How do we do a mass close/stop of active Workflows?

Zmudzin,Tomasz,VEVEY,GL-DS/DM Tomasz.Zmudzin at nestle.com
Fri Nov 15 02:40:41 EST 2002

Cathy, Roger,

Seeing a recommendation to delete work items physically I need to object.
That's actually the very last thing I could recommend, because you lose
track of what has been happening in the system and the operation itself is
pretty risky. Just imagine a slight typo in the selection parameters!

What I always recommend as the preferred approach is:

1. delete the workflows LOGICALLY -- which retains the log data and
indicates what has indeed happened in the system
2. archive the work items -- so you can always restore them if needed, but
they no longer clutter your WF tables

SWWL would only be the last resort -- and I think the situation is far from
critical as described.

Again, the purpose is to have a solution that is not just workable, but SAFE
and TRANSPARENT too. I agree that Option 1. is a pain when doing it manually
for 5000 items. But then one of the following is probably the case:

1. the approval outside of the workflow has accumulated over a long period
of time -- so there's been plenty of time to react earlier
2. the situation is simply a rule -- so the workflow should simply terminate
if the approval was done outside of it. Instead of fighting the users we can
simply serve them better.

I may sound harsh, but when dealing with mass processes we simply need to
follow clear guidelines or be prepared to handle the quirks.

Kind regards,
Tomasz