WF-BATCH requires SAP_ALL & SAP_NEW profiles

Zmudzin,Tomasz,VEVEY,GL-DS/DM Tomasz.Zmudzin at nestle.com
Wed May 15 01:02:15 EDT 2002

Although this may seem like a good idea at first, it sounds reasonable from
the security point of view only. You will run into real trouble when trying
to implement & maintain it. Your applications / background tasks will check
authorizations not just for transactions, but also for

- specific objects,
- object types,
- object subtypes
- object subtypes in organizational units,
- statuses
- activities
- (feel free to add more...)

Here the complexity grows a lot, and you cannot expect anyone to maintain
this. What you will see is a lot of "strange" workflow behavior -- tasks
going into error, tasks "hanging" etc.

The WF_BATCH needs to be perceived as a part of the connectivity
infrastructure. Technically it's a user, but it cannot perform any real
action in dialog. It is a part of the system, needed for its parts to
communicate freely. Just think of the WF system as not being part of the
Basis, but a separate component that needs to talk to your installation. For
a somewhat different reasons you will have the same situation when you
integrate other mySAP components. They will also need an RFC user to
communicate with your system.

And besides -- if the security needs to be tight, why should complete
complete RFC admin or S_WF_ALL or S_WF_ADMIN granted so easily?

Kind regards,
Tomasz