Attributes as object types

Roehlen, Peter PRoehlen at powercor.com.au
Fri Mar 8 02:43:59 EST 2002

Hello workflowers,

I'm seeking some guidance from anyone who has come across the following
problem:

When we add a new attribute to a business object type, we usually try to
make the 'type reference' of the attribute itself an 'object type'.  An
object type as the type reference is typically a lot more useful to workflow
designers than just the field value; doing this can often meet the needs of
future workflow templates as well.  For example: if someone asks me to add
the 'Superior Functional Location' as an attribute to business type
ZBUS0010, "Functional Location", I would automatically make the new
attribute reference an object type (in this case it would also be ZBUS0010)
rather than just reference the ABAP dictionary field.

The ease with which a regular attribute can be made to reference an object
type is a tribute to the SAP designers, however when we do this there is
often one problem that continually crops up: If the field value for the
attribute is initial - ie with no value - then the object reference is
'nothing'.  This causes workflow templates to terminate if you use the
attribute in a Condition step.  If, however, the attribute references the
ABAP dictionary field then the initial value causes no problem.

One work around is to have two attributes for each field, one referencing
the appropriate object type and the other the ABAP dictionary field.  This
is pretty ugly though.

Has anyone got any thoughts on the above?

Peter Roehlen
Team Lead - SAP Technical & Development
Powercor Australia Ltd
0409 950 263

Powercor Australia Ltd. This email and any file attachments are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in
error please tell us immediately by return email and delete the
document.