Workflow and ESS - Best practice?

Cristiana d'Agosto cristiana.dagosto at au.pwcglobal.com
Mon Jun 24 18:57:12 EDT 2002

We will be on version 4.6c and we are on the design phase of an
HR/Payroll/ESS/Workflow for ESS implementation.

One of the workflows to be developed will cater for changes made by the
employee via ESS to their own records (infotypes 0002, 0009 and 0014).
Employees are allowed to make changes to their personal details through the
ESS. Every time such a change is made, the change will be created in a
'locked' status and a workflow will be triggered to notify someone for
approval.

I have 2 main questions on regards to this sort of workflow:

1 - If the approval process is exactly the same, is it better to develop
only one workflow that will cater for the changes in their personal details
or it is better to create one workflow for each type of change?

2 - I was told that a better practice than the lock/unlock procedure (i.e.
the infotypes are created via ESS in locked status, then after approval,
the status is changed to unlock) is to use 'forms' (ie. the infotypes are
only created after approvel, there is no lock/unlock gig)? Can anyone
provide me more information/comments on that approach?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kind regards

Cristiana
computer.