Feedback Needed on Implementing Separate WF Organizational Tree

Terrell, Linda M. Linda.Terrell at Lyondell.com
Wed Jun 19 15:46:37 EDT 2002

Dear Experts,
We have implemented eight custom WFs and expect to implement seven more =
over the next six months.  The biggest problem we have encountered with =
our WFs is determining the agents of the tasks.  We have little control =
over the structure of the organization and HR is generally focused on a =
hierarchical reporting (superior/subordinate) relationship.  Our WFs are =
mostly interested in logistical escalation procedures.  Often the steps =
in an escalation process is not to notify the supervisor but a backup =
person, then a whole team, then the supervisor or a person outside of =
that group entirely.  Until now, we have been successful in using custom =
table to resolve the agents needed for specific tasks.  However this is =
getting more difficult as the number of WFs grows. =20

We would like to build an organizational tree with nodes that do not fit =
within the reporting relationship within the company.  Although this =
creates a dual maintenance situation, this would eliminate the =
contention between HR and workflow requirements.  These separate =
organizations would allow us to define Jobs, Positions, Organizational =
Units, etc. based on the logistical processes.  Maintenance of these =
organizational structures could be performed without impacting HR.=20

Before we approach HR with our solution, we need facts.  Any feedback on =
our proposal, or how this issue has been addresses at your company would =
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Linda Terrell
Lyondell Chemical=20