SAP MAPI vs SAP Exchange Connector

Becker Stephan (extern) Stephan.Becker.ext at mchw.siemens.de
Wed Jan 30 03:29:36 EST 2002

Hi Gregory,

with Windows 2000 and Outlook 2000 it is getter easier still: Ensure =
that
the standard SAPGUI install for your users includes the "Outlook
integration" option, then the users do NOT have to install anything =
locally
on top of that, and just have to follow a few easy steps in Outlook to
configure the service. You can easily install the outlook integration =
on top
of an existing SAPGUI installation. It takes a few minutes, just =
execute the
setup program again and just check the outlook integration option.
Apart from that, the service then works as so aptly described by Rolim
below.

I have had the same experience as Rolim with one of my larger customers
reagarding the exchange connection, they found it very hard to get all =
the
relevant people together to make this work (mail server admin, network
admin, SAP admin), so we stuck with the outlook integration. No doubt, =
you
have more possibilities and a more robust technical base if you opt for =
the
integration at exchange level, but from an economical perspective, if =
you
only want to do basic execution of workitems in outlook, then you're =
better
off with the MAPI integration option.

Greetings,
Stephan