AW: WF-BATCH Shortdumps

Becker Stephan (extern) Stephan.Becker.ext at mchw.siemens.de
Wed Feb 27 11:56:52 EST 2002

Hi Casey,

this request can not be answered in general terms. I would agree that =
there
is probably a logical error in an update made in a workflow method. You =
need
to analyse the logs with your basis people and find the table(s) that =
is/are
affected, and then find the workflow that operates on it/them. Finally, =
the
update logic needs to be changed so that the dumps do not occur any =
more.
This could be a simple case of implementing appropriate locking logic, =
or in
the worst case could mean a redesign of the workflow.

I do not really see this as a workflow specific error. It can happen in =
any
program. However, what is workflow specific about this situation is =
that
workflow can run, at least part of the way, in parallel to dialog and =
update
tasks that have triggered the workflow. Reason being that the workflow =
makes
a remote function call that creates a new Logical Unit of Work that =
makes
the workflow independent of the caller (i.e. the application program =
that
created the workflow event and thus started the workflow). Hence, a =
workflow
that is trying to update a table early on in the process, might clash =
with
the update task of the program that triggered the workflow; as the =
update
task and the workflow are very likely to work on the same object, the
potential for a clash is even greater.

Hth,
Stephan=20

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----