AW: Active Version of WF Template

Becker Stephan (extern) Stephan.Becker.ext at mchw.siemens.de
Wed Feb 27 05:20:11 EST 2002

=20
Brian, Brad,
=20
the workflow cannot switch versions at runtime for logical reasons, =
thus all
running workflows will always continue with the version they were =
started
with. To realise why this must be the case, imagine you have changed =
the
flow and the data that goes with it between versions, and a running =
workflow
would now try to switch from the old to the new version between steps, =
but
the running workflow does not have the data it needs to, say, evaluate =
condition in the new flow, because this was determined in a step of the =
NEW
flow that the OLD running workflow had already passed.. Even more =
basic, try
imagining how you would determine (putting yourself in the position of =
the
workflow engine) what the next step would be in the new version, coming =
from
the old version.. say the new version includes a few more activities =
and
branches, or even worse, the currently running step in the old flow =
does not
exist any more in the new flow.. as far as my understanding goes, it =
would
be a logical impossibility to describe such situations within the
constraints of any programming language.
=20
Greetings,
Stephan=20
=20