Workflow Triggered by Customer Creation

ravi.gogineni.b@bayer.com ravi.gogineni.b at bayer.com
Fri Feb 22 12:08:12 EST 2002

We have encountered the same problem with the change documents for our 'Customer
Create' workflow.  Our scenario required triggering of workflow only for 'New'
customers and not for 'extending views'.

We chose the 'Check Function Module' option.  We created a new Event for the
KNA1 object and was linked to the custom workflow task.  Configured the Change
Document Object 'DEBI' to this Event for 'created'.  The Check Function Module
will lookup the Change Documents and kills the workflow if the Change document
is a result of 'Extension'.

You could write two check function modules (one for create and one for view
extension) to get what you are trying to do.

Regards,
Ravi.

 Ravi Gogineni                                                  (Embedded image
 Bayer Corporation                                               moved to file:
 SAP Strategy & Consulting / Implementation Strategy &            pic25200.gif)
 Support
 412.777.5517 PHONE
 412.777.7663 FAX
 ravi.gogineni.b at bayer.com EMAIL

                      Adrian Clarke
                      <Adrian_Clarke at DDSI        To:       SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                      NCORP.com>                 cc:
                      Sent by: SAP               Subject:  Workflow Triggered by Customer Creation
                      Workflow
                      <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITV
                      MA.MIT.EDU>

                      02/22/2002 11:13 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "SAP Workflow
                      Users' Group"

Hello All,

I am currently designing a workflow that I want to be triggered when a customer
master is created (via an inbound IDOC) using an event triggered by a change
document.  This IDOC could either be creating a brand new customer (i.e. KNA1,
KNVV, KNB1 etc...) or could just be extending an existing customer into a new
sales area (i.e. KNVV only).  I would like to have a different workflow
triggered depending on whether it is a new customer or just an extension.

The problem I am having is that there is only one change document object (DEBI)
regardless of whether or not the customer is being created new or just being
extended.  The main table for this change document is always KNA1 and both
change documents are type "I" for create.   In addition, when a customer is
created, there is nothing in the "old value" and "new value" fields that I could
use to distinguish between the two types of creation.

I don't think it is a good idea to create custom change document objects, so I
am trying to think of a good way to proceed.  Some thoughts I have had are:

   1. Create two events and use a check function to rule one of them out.
   2. Don't use change documents and use an event created by the completion of
      the IDOC.  Same problem, but I could probably pass something in the
      container to distinguish between the two.
   3. ?????

Any other ideas?  Has anyone built a similar type of workflow?

Currently on version 4.0B.

Thanks in advance.

Adrian