Permanent Substitution (was: Forward work items of user A to user B)

Jim Sauceman sauceman at tennessee.edu
Mon Dec 2 09:35:59 EST 2002

Mike,

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. We encourage everyone to name at least
one person who can act on his/her behalf in the event of absence due to
illness, vacation, etc. The Substitutes are instructed on how to "adopt"
the Substitution when necessary. In our situation, there are typically
one or more professors who can act on behalf of the Department Head or
an Assistant Manager who signs for the Manager when she/he is out of
town. The Substitute is often prompted by those who need a document
processed (e.g. Parked Invoice approved, CATS Time released, etc.) so
they don't necessarily have to be proactive; however, it helps if there
is a standing "sign for me when I'm gone" agreement among the Principals
and their Substitutes. The cultural aspects of moving from paper to
electronic "documents" are sometimes more difficult than the technical.
However, in this case, the old idea of the person who has signature
authority for the boss while she/he is out of town transfers pretty
well.

Best regards,

Jim Sauceman
The University of Tennessee