AW: SAP Rel. 4.6B and background tasks in workflows

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Tue Aug 27 22:44:23 EDT 2002

Hi Eivind,
When a background task runs the agent is the workflow system user, WF-BATCH.
You will not see this in Goto>Agents>Selected Agents as you do with dialog users.

You will see WF-BATCH has been used to execute the background task in
the technical view of the workflow log
and the technical view of the work item and in a few other selected places.

The workflow system user is taken from the userid in the
WORKFLOW_LOCAL_xxx (xxx is your client number)RFC destination that was set up
using transaction SWU3.

So firstly check that the RFC destination in SWU3 is correctly defined and
pointing to the correct user, i.e. WF-BATCH. Please do not use any other userid (not even WF_BATCH).

Secondly from SWU3 start the verification workflow that sends a work item
to you.  Go to the inbox, execute it and choose "execute immediately".
You should then receive two mails - one from yourself, and the other from
the workflow system user.
If that much is working ok there is nothing wrong with WF-BATCH the problem
is with your particular background task.

If for some reason the coding in the method beneath a background task requires
user input, then the task will start but never complete - i.e. stays in status
STARTED.  You will usually see an error message about why the task could not be completed appearing
in transaction SM58 against the WF-BATCH user.

So - use the above to figure out if the problem is really with WF-BATCH, or whether
it's something to do with your method.  If it's only something to do with your
method then you need to fix your method coding so that it truly can be run in background.

Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)
and co-author of the book