Performance (killer?)

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Wed Aug 21 01:42:07 EDT 2002

Just FYI for everyone's benefit ...

If you are using SAP Basis 4.6C or above (whether using R/3, EBP, CRM, APO, whatever)
definitely try and use start conditions for this sort of situation, i.e. stopping
unnecessary workflows from being created.

Only if you really can't formulate a start condition would you bother with a
check function module.  Reasons being:

* Start conditions are logical expressions that can be easily viewed, understood
and if necessary changed by business analysts not just techos, and best of all by
non-workflow people too - i.e. high visibility, easy access,  reduced confusion

* Start conditions allow you to do amazingly complex logical expressions complete
with parentheses, logical or/and/not, existence checks on objects etc. in a lot less
time than it would take you to create an equivalent check function module

* Start conditions let you include anything in the event container including attributes
linked to the event object

* Start conditions use a pre-built check function module that SAP looks after and
is therefore reliable, well-forumlated, robust, covered under your maintenance agreement, etc.

* Start conditions are easy to change because they are configuration not programming

Since start conditions have been made available I haven't had to build my own check function module
once in a 4.6C or above system.

For people in earlier releases, add it to the list of reasons for why you should upgrade. :-)

Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)
and co-author of the book