Maximum number of multiline element (99)

Zmudzin,Tomasz,VEVEY,GL-DS/DM Tomasz.Zmudzin at nestle.com
Thu Aug 15 09:42:03 EDT 2002

Andreas,

I guess the answer would be again: technically, sure, there are workarounds.
But... are you sure you need to have this?

Assuming the 99+ records are stored on some application table rather than
container table only,
1. create a method splitting the items into buckets of 99 max and returning
a table with indexes of the first item in the bucket.
2. create a subworkflow that will be triggered as many times in parallel as
there are buckets, receiving the respective index as input (i.e. use the
table constructed in Step 1 to control the table-driven parallelism)
3. in the subworkflow use a method to extract the entries for the respective
bucket, put them into a container table.
4. as the next step in the subflow put your task -- again, table-controlled
for parallel execution based on entries retrieved in Step 3.

In theory this brings you to the limit of 99*99 = 9801, and could be easily
extended by any multiple. But... I can hardly see a real-life process with
this type of execution being finished in acceptable time if your tasks are
dialog (I can hardly see the use of this for background)... And keep in mind
the WF tables will grow really quickly if you process your workflow this
way.

In other words -- although it's a nice mental exercise to produce a
solution, I'd ask twice if the process like this is realistic.

Cheers,
Tomasz