Work item escalation and notifications to several levels

Zmudzin,Tomasz,VEVEY,GL-DS/DM Tomasz.Zmudzin at nestle.com
Tue Aug 6 01:45:53 EDT 2002

Christiana,

I've had the "pleasure" of coming across requirements like this several
times -- although I seldom see companies pushing their managers to process
leave requests like this :-)   Unfortunately it's a cultural issue and as
such it may not be easy to beat. Sometimes people really crave to be "in
control" /or have the impression of it/ or simply want to have the stick,
just in case.

OK, I let my emotions go off now -- let's check the hard facts:

- Technically speaking you can set up a scenario like this.
- The hard part is convincing your customer that they will want to have it
switched off a month after go-live.
- You can argue about the need for non-blaming culture within an
organization. It probably won't help.
- Try convincing your customer that the higher you go up in the
organizational ladder, the LESS OFTEN the notifications will be read, and
the MORE ANNOYING they will be to the management flooded with lots of
messages anyway.
- As your scenario is not one of strategic importance to the survival of
your customer, show your customer's management that they are probably busy
with more important matters.
- Indicate that routing the notifications to the employees will actually get
the job done instead of reporting it as not done yet. The employees are the
actual stakeholders in the process, so they will inquire. The managers will
not necesserily have the time to do that.
- If the customer insists -- they're the king, so I'd recommend to implement
and wait. Just make sure the new feature can be switched off easily :-)

Kind regards,
Tomasz