Document templates via web browser in 46B

Rickayzen, Alan alan.rickayzen at sap.com
Mon Apr 15 06:43:52 EDT 2002

Hi Peter,
Word attachments are displayable in the IAC Web inbox (BWSP), however they
cannot be changed. New data can be appended instead. The difference between
Word attachments and the 'Create from Document template' step is that the
latter can display variables from the workflow container and the attachments
cannot.

I have not tested what will happen when you use Word references (network or
otherwise) instead of attachments.

So perhaps the Word forms would be a crude solution where the workflow
provides minimal support (such as routing, logging, tracking) but there is
no data handling. The question is whether this will give you enough ROI,
compared with converting a few of the Word scenarios to fully fledged forms
scenarios. You alone are the judge of this.

One of the key issues is  what happens to the data captured in the Word
forms in your current process? Is it rekeyed into a separate system or
simply printed  out and filed somewhere? The advantage of a forms-based
process is that you can do the post-processing of the data from the forms
automatically, as well as using the forms-data within the workflow process
(e.g. sophisticated routing, field masking, branching, merging data....).

Kind regards,
Alan Rickayzen