Workflow Mail to have information outside....

Jody Chassereau drcakes at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:48:16 EDT 2001

Roland,

I reviewed your document on the problem you are having with capturing the
'executed by' information for your use in a mail message.  I have also
developed a workflow for T&E and had run into similar issues when trying to
capture the userid of the actual approver.

The problem I had was that I wanted to have a background step after the
Approve/Reject that checked the actual approver to make sure they were valid
(in case someone had performed substitution in the Business Workplace).
When I kept checking the 'executed by' data, the userid was WF-BATCH.
Apparently once the background step had begun, the userid in the previous
step was no longer available in that system field.

So, here is what I recommend:  In the binding of the Approve step, move
_Workitem (Standard work item) into a new container element (let's say
&WorkItemSave&).  Define this container element in the workflow with obj.
type WORKINGWI.  This way, the work item data is stored in a separate area
and will not be changed unless you overwrite it.  Then when you have a later
step that needs to use the data, you can pass in
&WorkItemSave.EXECUTEDBYUSER.NAME& and it should have the actual approver
info.

I didn't quite follow your question on how the name formats, but maybe this
will give you something to work with.  I hope this helps you out.

Jody Chassereau
drcakes at hotmail.com