Re-introduce a canceled workitem

Rob Bates rob.bates at itnetplc.com
Wed Sep 5 12:20:25 EDT 2001

Peter,

I'm not aware of any easy way to detect that a work item has been cancelled if
that work item cancels in the usual way (i.e. the exit_cancelled macro is called
in the method). However, if you are prepared to enhance the standard object
method, you could create a new method for a delegated subtype (e.g. ZIMAGE)
either by copying the method into a new method or redefining the
IMAGEASSIGNEARLY method. Then you could change the method to have a result
parameter, and also change the program code to set the result parameter to one
value if the task finishes normally, and another value if the user has cancelled
(i.e. set the result parameter instead of calling the exit_cancelled macro). If
you use this new method in your task and workflow you will then have two
possible outcomes of the task - 'image assigned' and 'task cancelled'. You can
then model the rest of the workflow (presumably with a loop around the whole
thing, terminating when the image is assigned or the user selects 'terminate' on
the subsequent user decision you add after the 'task cancelled' outcome).

There may of course be simpler and neater solutions out there.....

Good luck,

Rob Bates,
e-Business & Workflow Consultant,
ITNET UK Ltd.