Version Control with Role Binding Change

Jody Chassereau drcakes at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 19 01:20:34 EDT 2001

I have run into a situation where a workflow developed has been transported
through the chain to our productive system.  We haven't really started using
it yet in production, but hundreds of workflows have been started for it in
our Training client with the expectations of having users train and
eventually complete the ones out there.  To make a long story short, I have
found a problem afterwards in one of my steps where the role resolution
could possibly route it to the wrong person.  I would like to be able to
correct this without having to have people enter all new documents
triggering the w/f.

I have always tried to be very careful when changing productive workflows so
far (like following note 125400) and I generally end up making new versions
when changes are called for.  But now that I have a workflow in progress
several hundred times under a particular version, I would really like to
avoid having to create a new version so my fix can take effect on these.

My question is on the step where I am using a role for agent assignment. I
know changing the function module in the role would not require a new w/f
version, but for this fix to work, I need to ADD an additional field in the
binding between the workflow/role.  If this field already exists in the
workflow container (and would have the value I need already in it by the
time it hits this step), would passing this to the role require a new
version of the w/f?  I could not tell from the OSS note how this would be
covered.  BTW, this custom role is only used in this particular workflow.

I'm was planning on processing this workflow tomorrow to different stages
before making any changes so I could see what effect it had.  But I was
hoping someone might could pass on some insight before I started down the
wrong path.  With some training starting next week, it's going to be a long
weekend if I have to get all new data set up and trigger new workflows, so I
would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks...
Jody Chassereau
drcakes at hotmail.com