Deadline Monitoring for Parallel Processes

Schroeter, Brad BSchroeter at ti.com
Wed Mar 28 17:56:09 EST 2001

Andre,
Here was our scenario/solution:

We had a Engineering Change Request (ECR) workflow using parallel processing
which had deadline monitoring tied to a dialog step.  It had a requested end
of 7 days and then a 7 day deadline would be raised.  This 7 day deadline
would send a notification message to the ECR creator; however, the ECR
creator would get the message x times, where x is the number of outstanding
work items.

So what I did was create a workflow container element called
SENT_7_DAY_NOTIF which was just a sent notification flag (I set it up as
import/export and referenced ABAP dictionary table-field SWWWIHEAD-NOTIFY).

Then for the 7 day deadline path I put a condition step which determines if
the 7 day notification has already been set by checking if SENT_7_DAY_NOTIF
= 'X'.  If it is true, then I don't do anything.  If it isn't true, then I
do my 7 day notification followed by a container operation step which sets
SENT_7_DAY_NOTIF = 'X' which will ensure that the ECR creator only gets one
7 day notification message.

-Brad