Maintenance of substitutions

Zinnecker, Albin, MK a.zinnecker at gewkoelnag.de
Thu Jul 19 05:40:55 EDT 2001

Hi all,

one more comment/question on this topic: first of all I think that =
Peter's
statement ist fundamentally right. Updating tabels directly in your own =
code
without considering possible other table dependencies could be a =
problem. On
the other hand the HRUS_D2 is an independent table, as far as I know. =
User
substitutions are not maintainable via the HR transactions and so this
solution is the simplest way to a central administration.

In addition to that I have another problem. Positional substitutions =
are
maintainable via the HR transactions (expert mode) but only with other
positions, persons or users. I have to create relationships (A/B210) =
between
a position and an organizational unit. I already added a new entry to =
the
allowed relationships in table T777e (S - A210 - O) - now it is =
maintainable
in infotype 1001 - but unfortunately it has no effect on the =
substitutions.

These substitutions are not in table HRUS_D2 (only user substitutions) =
and
I'll keep my fingers off HRP1001. I'm still looking for a solution to =
this
problem. In our case the user substitution level doesn't count that =
much
because our users are integrated stepwise (over two months) into the =
system.
Has anyone an idea on this?

Many thanks and regards,

Albin Zinnecker
Management Service (MK)
Kaufm=E4nnische Prozesse
GEW K=F6ln AG, 50606 K=F6ln
Tel.:   (02 21) 178-2622
Fax:    (02 21) 178-82622
E-Mail:      a.zinnecker at gewkoelnag.de

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
> Von:  Roehlen, Peter [SMTP:PRoehlen at powercor.com.au]
> Gesendet am:  Donnerstag, 19. Juli 2001 08:46
> An:   SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
> Betreff:      Re: Maintenance of substitutions
>=20
> Hi all,
>=20
> First, sorry for the very late response to this thread.
>=20
> I don't want to be a spoiler, but I would avoid the below approach in
> principle.
>=20
> Arguably you could do something like this for any SAP table - eg HR =
master
> data, PM orders etc etc.  The only problem is that tables like this =
do not
> have the flag "Table maintenance allowed" turned on in the data
> dictionary,
> and for very good reason.  Maintaining data directly in these tables =
(ie
> not
> through the application layer) potentially bypasses security, locking =
and,
> perhaps more importantly, is ignorant of any application rules =
potentially
> leading to data inconsistency.
>=20
> For example, hypothetically SAP may at any time change the =
application
> code
> relating to substitutions so that another dependant table (in addtion =
> HRUS_D2) is updated whenever a substitution is updated.  Over time as =
you
> continue to update HRUS_D2 directly, the inconsistency between it and =
it's
> dependant table grows.  Pretty soon you would find that the =
substitution
> feature might not work at all.  You would then find that when you =
logged
> this on OSS, SAP would wipe their hands of responsibility for this.  =
It is
> akin to coding direct table updates in a Z* ABAP.
>=20
> The above scenario may be unlikely in the case of substitutions, but =
you
> can
> bet that if you tried this approach with other tables you would =
pretty
> quickly come unstuck.
>=20
> Anyway, that's my two cents worth..
>=20
> Peter Roehlen
> Team Lead - SAP Technical & Development
> Powercor Australia Ltd
> 0409 950 263
>=20
>=20
Workflow)
> SAP Australia
> Email jocelyn.dart at sap.com <mailto:jocelyn.dart at sap.com>
> Tel: +61 412 390 267
> Fax: +61 2 9935 4880
>=20
>=20
Workplace
> for
> all of our users. The maintainance should be made by only one central
> administrator and not by every user. As I know, substitutions are =
user
> specific so we're looking for a possibility - maybe a report or =
anything
> else - for a central maintainance.
>=20
> Has anyone else done this before (if there is a solution...).
>=20
> Many thanks in advance.
>=20
> Regards,