Workflow reporting for Multiple large customers on one production client

Rankin, Andrew AJ Andrew.J.Rankin at BHPBilliton.com
Mon Dec 3 00:32:24 EST 2001

Hi all,

I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone has to offer on the question of how best to manage workflow in a production system that has more than one business running workflow. In this instance these are two large and completely separate divisions of the same company, however both will be running the same workflows, and almost all of these are in the procurement / invoicing area. Both divisions want to be able to manage and report on their own work items.

I don't have a problem with responsible agent determination, everything will work fine on the run-time side of things. The problems I see are that particularly when it comes to reporting, there will be a lot of difficulty trying to figure out which work items belong to which business. We are going to need to write customised reports that use an attribute from the related business object (eg. company code) to figure out whose work items are whose.

One option I have thought of but am very sceptical about, is whether there is a way of using work item number ranges to do the job. If we could create rules that assign each work item to one of two number ranges depending on which business the related business object belongs to, it would make reporting a lot easier. I know it sounds far fetched, but is it possible? Maybe there is something else I can use to assign a work item to a business upon instantiation of a work item which can then be used in reporting?

Many thanks for any ideas...

Regards
Andrew Rankin
CSC Australia

EOM

NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential and/or subject of legal privilege intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error and that any dissemination, copying or use of this message or attachment is strictly forbidden, as is the disclosure of the information therein.  If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.