Sending a Link in an email

Raskin, Alon (Soliance) ARaskin at cps-satx.com
Mon Aug 13 11:41:17 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I wanted to run this approach by you guys and get some feedback. I would be
interested in hearing how others have approached this.

In case you haven't noticed by my last few emails, I have been involved in
looking at how we can notify users in Outlook that they have a work
item/task that requires their attention.

I have looked into Forms, though I have pretty much decided against them
(unless you guys can convince me otherwise) as I am not really interested in
allowing the user to view the task in outlook. I just want them to be
notified so that they can log on to SAP and go to their inbox (I will
probably provide a short cut to SBWP directly from their desktop). While I
am on this, does anyone know if there are any standard SAPForms delivered by
SAP? I may use them if there isn't much work involved to implement them.

One thing I would love to be able to do is to provide them with some sort of
attachment/link directly back to SAP. So when the email arrives, they would
click on the link contained in it and it would automatically launch SAPGUI
and execute the work item. I have seen SAPMAPI do this so I know it is
possible. I just don't know how to replicate this using Exchange Connector.

The second option (if the above is not possible) is to provide them a link
direct to their Business Workplace (SBWP) from the notification email.
Again, I am unsure how I can attach the transaction call into some sort of
link/url.

The third option is to provide no link at all. I can definitely do this as
this means that all I need to do is send an email. But one conundrum (I have
always wanted to use that word) remains. Some of the workflows are standard
SAP and I do not want to modify them in order to add the SENDMAIL step. I
thought I would approach this problem by creating a workflow which listens
for the WORKITEM.CREATED. It could then check if the task of this workflow
requires notification (I could maintain this in a Z table) and automatically
send a mail to all the agents of the work item. I think this solution is a
little messy but overall not too bad. Is anyone anywhere of a better
approach?

Apologies for the long email but I would appreciate comments from anyone on
any of the above issues.

Kindest Regards,

Alon Raskin