[panda-users] Tracing instructions from kernel space

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt brendandg at nyu.edu
Fri Nov 9 10:55:38 EST 2018

Yes, it should definitely be tracing memory accesses in the kernel (it
traces all memory accesses on the system) – could you post your plugin
code?

You may also want to simply log all memory accesses, along with the
current program counter and (optionally) whether or not they originate
in the kernel (using the panda_in_kernel API) to debug.

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Jayashree Mohan
<jayashree2912 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using PANDA to trace all store instructions in an emulated pmem
> device. I do this by writing a plugin that issues calbacks on
> "PANDA_CB_VIRT_MEM_AFTER_WRITE" events. If I run a simple workload
> that does write() system calls followed by mmap and memcpy, I can see
> the callbacks being triggered for the user-space memcpy calls to a
> file, but not anytime during the write system call. Does PANDA allow
> tracing instructions from the kernel space?
>
> Thanks,
> Jayashree Mohan

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering