[panda-users] How to use volatility with memsavep dumps

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt brendandg at nyu.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:57:21 EDT 2016

I think I have seen this before, but can't reproduce it at the moment.
Do other values of percent= work? And, is ssltest something you can
share so we can debug?

-Brendan

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Giovanni Mascellani
<g.mascellani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I tried to dump the memory content of a PANDA replay with
>
> ../../qemu/x86_64-softmmu/qemu-system-x86_64 -m 512M -replay ssltest
> -panda memsavep:percent=3,file=dump
>
> Then tried to open it with volatility:
>
> volatility -f dump gdt
> Volatility Foundation Volatility Framework 2.5
>    CPU        Sel Base       Limit      Type              DPL Gr   Pr
> ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- -------------- ------ ---- ----
> No suitable address space mapping found
> Tried to open image as:
>  MachOAddressSpace: mac: need base
>  LimeAddressSpace: lime: need base
>  WindowsHiberFileSpace32: No base Address Space
>  WindowsCrashDumpSpace64BitMap: No base Address Space
>  WindowsCrashDumpSpace64: No base Address Space
>  HPAKAddressSpace: No base Address Space
>  VMWareMetaAddressSpace: No base Address Space
>  VirtualBoxCoreDumpElf64: No base Address Space
>  QemuCoreDumpElf: No base Address Space
>  VMWareAddressSpace: No base Address Space
>  WindowsCrashDumpSpace32: No base Address Space
>  AMD64PagedMemory: No base Address Space
>  IA32PagedMemoryPae: No base Address Space
>  IA32PagedMemory: No base Address Space
>  OSXPmemELF: No base Address Space
>  MachOAddressSpace: MachO Header signature invalid
>  LimeAddressSpace: Invalid Lime header signature
>  WindowsHiberFileSpace32: No xpress signature found
>  WindowsCrashDumpSpace64BitMap: Header signature invalid
>  WindowsCrashDumpSpace64: Header signature invalid
>  HPAKAddressSpace: Invalid magic found
>  VMWareMetaAddressSpace: VMware metadata file is not available
>  VirtualBoxCoreDumpElf64: ELF Header signature invalid
>  QemuCoreDumpElf: ELF Header signature invalid
>  VMWareAddressSpace: Invalid VMware signature: 0xf000ff53
>  WindowsCrashDumpSpace32: Header signature invalid
>  AMD64PagedMemory: Incompatible profile WinXPSP2x86 selected
>  IA32PagedMemoryPae: No valid DTB found
>  IA32PagedMemory: No valid DTB found
>  OSXPmemELF: ELF Header signature invalid
>  FileAddressSpace: Must be first Address Space
>  ArmAddressSpace: No valid DTB found
>
> Apparently volatility is not recognizing it. What am I missing? Sorry, I
> am not a volatility expert and I do not understand if some other
> preprocessing of the dump is required.
>
> Thanks for your help, Giovanni.
> --
> Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani at gmail.com>
> PhD Student - Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
>
> http://poisson.phc.unipi.it/~mascellani

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering