[panda-users] Relationship between the address space in tap points and asid of the processes

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt brendandg at nyu.edu
Fri Mar 4 09:28:36 EST 2016

They are the same. The ASID is the address in memory of the page
directory (the top-level paging structure that defines the virtual to
physical mapping for that process); osi_linux is just providing the
ASID as a virtual address, whereas the tap point plugins are giving
the physical address.

We should probably modify osi_linux to return a physical address for
the ASID for consistency. In the meantime you can use
panda_virt_to_phys if you want to convert it.

-Brendan

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Julia Gustafsson
<gustafssonjulia92 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding the relationship between the adress space in the
> tap points and the adress space identifier (ASID) in asidstory.
>
> For example if I have this tap point:
> 000000006da68ba1 000000006da803e0 000000003f98b320
>
> I can see in by using asidstory :
> Name               Asid
> iexplore2          3f98b320
>
> Can I draw the conclusion then that on that tap point internet explorer,
> process iexplore2, is reading  or writing on that tap point?
>
> On debian I got this tap point:
> b70904b9 b6e39550 0c3a5000
>
> And in asidstory I get:
> Name            Asid
> gnome-term  cc3a5000
>
> Can I draw the conlusion then that on that tap point the terminal, process
> gnome-term, is reading or writing on that tap point?  In that case, why does
> gnome-term has an extra "c" in its asid than the adress space on the tap
> point?
>
> I have basic memory knowledge, and I'm using PANDA for analyzing program
> execution so I'm very happy for help.
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Best Regards,
> Julia

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering