[panda-users] Announcing PANDA 2.0

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt brendandg at nyu.edu
Thu Dec 1 11:33:42 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 10:49 AM, Giovanni Mascellani
<g.mascellani at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Brendan,
>
> thanks for the good news and for the hard work, yours and of the others
> in the team.
>
> Il 28/11/2016 23:46, Brendan Dolan-Gavitt ha scritto:
>> The main goal of PANDA 2.0 is to re-sync with upstream QEMU,
>> allowing us to take advantage of all of these improvements. We've also
>> restructured the repository, which will make it easier to keep up with
>> upstream changes in the future.
>
> Does this mean that PANDA will be more or less continuously rebased on
> QEMU, or this will happen again at discrete moments like between PANDA
> 1.0 and 2.0?

We are hoping to do continuous rebasing from this point forward. It
should be much easier to manage in smaller increments!

> Also, just out of curiosity, has the possibility of integrating PANDA
> features (maybe controlling them with a compilation flag) in upstream
> QEMU ever considered? I'm not saying that it should, but I would like to
> know PANDA's authors' view on this. Apart from what goes in the panda/
> directory, which is clearly separated from the rest, the modifications
> in QEMU are not big, are they?

We've talked about this a little bit before, but my feeling is that
it's unlikely. QEMU currently has their own record/replay subsystem
that works differently from ours (it records device inputs rather than
device <-> CPU/memory interaction), so there's a little bit of feature
duplication. The taint tracking, plugins, and instrumentation of PANDA
might be useful to others, but they're far enough outside of the
current goals of QEMU that I'm doubtful they'd want to incorporate the
code.

> Thanks, Giovanni.
> --
> Giovanni Mascellani <g.mascellani at gmail.com>
> PhD Student - Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
>
> http://poisson.phc.unipi.it/~mascellani

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering