[Olympus] PRL paper

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Mon Nov 7 07:12:04 EST 2016

Dear Stan,

let me try to chip in a few remarks which are hopefully helpful.

On 1./ regarding pion production:
Background rates are asymmetric w.r.t. pi+/pi-, however each pion is
almost symmetric w.r.t. e+/e- (ignoring TPE).
Pion backgrounds would have to be either of type where a pion (pi0) is
produced in addition to ep but not detected (highly but not totally
suppressed by missing mass analysis), or by misidentification of pi+ as
e+, or pi- as e-. These are suppressed even more because there would be no
proton in coincidence.
If at all, we are dominated by the former which is mostly e+/e-
charge-symmetric. In reality the nature of observed residual backgrounds
is more random-like, from the particle flux from upstream to downstream.
Residual background was identified and subtracted, but not modeled in MC.
The size of residual background is now mentioned.

On 2.:
The MIE method is described in detail in Axel's thesis, and as far as I
can tell, it correctly takes the intensity dependence of the coinc
ee&ep (prop L^2) over single ee (prop. L) into account.

On 3.:
Many crosschecks were done with the MC, including e.g. generating and
propagating an e+p sample but analyzing it as e-p and vice versa, and by
switching the toroid back and forth for the MC samples.
The generator was extensively tested and validated against ESEPP.

Best regards
   Michael