[Olympus] PRL paper

Belostotski, Stanislav stanislav.belostotski at desy.de
Mon Nov 7 05:08:02 EST 2016

Dear Douglas and all,
I am surprised not to find ANY reaction to my comments sent 04.11.2016,
neither in the paper text nor at least by a mail. To remind, the
comments  are attached below.  Regards StanB
P.S. Sorry, I will not participate the meeting today
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
1.Table 1.
A couple of items :
-uncertainty due to beam positions and slopes is missing ;
-"geometry". What does geometry mean? Is that alignment imperfection?
"Elastic (event) selection and bgr subtraction".
There is no discussion in text about background which  at large angles
is mostly related to pion production. Remember, the latter is charge
asymmetrical. I can assume that the pion contribution is small but at
least a few lines on pion production is needed.
2.Page 3, left, paragraph "The integrated luminosity...."
These MIE , as stated in this paragraph, are coincidences of small angle
ep scattering and Moller or BhaBha coincidence events.So they are random
coincidences(?). Then they must be corrected for the beam intensity
variations(?). Or this is my ignorance (?).Ref.29 does not help ( "to be
published").   Why just  small angle ep scattering is not  usable for
normalization?
I presume similar questions will be put by a referee.
3. It is well known that kinematic constrains used for event selection
effect strongly on RC contribution. Extraction of net TPE effect from
the ratio is only possible  if these constrains are strictly identical
for e+ and e-. On the other hand the e+/e- acceptances are different.In
a bin in Q**2 this is of course solved applying eq.1. The question is
still how much false asymmetry can be resulted from imperfections of MC
simulation. Was the MC model tuned somehow and cross-checked?
I think we need a few lines on that point.
4.page4 with Fig.2.correct misprint at line 4. left   (simulation)
5. My opinion on ranking in the author list is in details in my previous
mails.