[Olympus] corrected mail

Belostotski, Stanislav stanislav.belostotski at desy.de
Fri Nov 4 07:15:38 EDT 2016

Dear Douglas,
Saying on shortage of time I meant paper draft revisions, in no case the
analysis. As I understand the analysis has been  completed. There is no
longer open questions and a robust result obtained. Fine.
Nevertheless, I was happy to see that our data are not in a
contradiction with VEPP3 points,  otherwise ...
So I am in process now of reading the draft.
Sorry, I disagree with your statement that the analysis is done only by
the MIT group.I would say  this group did an excellent job to save the
measurements carried out  with the help of problematic WCs and very aged
scintillation counters. New detectors (SYMB monitor, GEMs) , except 12
deg. monitor, had also problems. So the task to recover the data was at
first look even not doable. Nevertheless  the analysis was started at
DESY and at our weekly meetings there were many presentations done by
not MIT people: Norik, Denis, Yuri,UWe, etc.Though the MIT played
certainly leading role. Such that  later, when analysis (together with
computer  capabilities) was moved  to MIT it has become clear that the
MIT group (people motivated with their Phd theses) will do "the best
possible" of this job. And gradually, people less motivated switched to
their current activities. But this is  absolutely normal. Take any
collaboration-the situation is the same. The analysis is a task of a
small group of people. not all the collaboration.
Now about the paper. Its final version must be agreed with ALL authors
on a basis of CONSENSUS.This includes the author list. I would accept if
one or two persons would be put prior to the alphabetical author list.
As an exclusion, this could be done for a real leader who proposed
experiment, put it on the floor, control data taking and play a leading
role in the data analysis.
In our case we see seven !!! people before the alphabetical author list.
Note, this is more than 10% of the whole collaboration.
This is not only weird, this is misleading.
With best regards StanB