[Olympus] Things to investigate for the luminosity determination

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Thu Mar 12 12:09:56 EDT 2015

Hi,
here are some notes on tasks for the luminosity determination that were
discussed:

Slow-control luminosity:
Based on a microscopic simulation of the conductance in the presence of
wakefield suppressors and other details of the target, Brian has
accomplished a new density profile that extends beyond the nominal length
of the target cell and which provides about 20-30% more target thickness
for a given flow.

Identified task:
The target simulation should be validated, e.g. using wire chamber tracks
in a narrow angular bin (to keep the cross section constant) for a scan of
the vertex distribution.
The detailed shape of the density distribution can be affected by local
temperature profile; it should be simulated how much the density can vary
subsequently.

12-degree luminosity:
Based on MWPC-only tracks, significant progress has been achieved.
Observed yield distributions agree quite well with MC now. The luminosity
from Brian's 12-degree MWPC-only analysis agrees with the slow control
luminosity to 4% (higher than SC). The left-right systematics (luminosity
difference) is at the level of 2%. The ratio of e+/e- is at the 1% level
consistent with unity and has been blinded to a +-0.5% level.
SiPM efficiency maps have been determined.

Identified tasks:
Proton tracks
Refinement of cuts

MWPC:
Stripe structure only in right sector (mainly theta) not understood.
Present in data and MC. Possibly bug in reconstruction.

Small bump at missing energy of 600 MeV only for e+ in left and right
sector

Further digitization improvements. MC resolution is a bit too good.
Use GEM tracks to verify hits on MWPC

GEM:
Sync error: it is a flag in the code to occur when for the event less than
12 APVs have data. APV data would show values outside of physical
range, containing header data or simply random memory data. Happens
runtime dependent, not always but if it happens then for the same events.
The current handling is not correct, and may lead to correlated
inefficiencies.
-> assess how often it happens
-> either discard the event or make sure that data transfer is done
correctly

Incorporate pedestal and common-mode noise subtraction, masking of dead
channels, gain calibration

New GEM plugin 2.0

SYMB luminosity:
The average luminosity from SYMB is about 5% percent lower than the slow
control luminosity.
The luminosity from the SYMB system shows a charge asymmetry of about 9%
(higher for positrons), which is not understood.
No trivial factors of 2 are responsible.
Thecharge asymmetry in SYMB of 9% reduces to 7.8% by different use of the
two-vertex generator.
There is no radiative annihilation generator, however this can only
produce a percent-level modification.
There are too many events in simulation, or too few in data.
ep in SYMB: underflow bin unreliable, rate off by factor 2, e+/e- is near
unity by coincidence

Gain studies:
Electron gain (ADC over simulated photoelectrons) changes around run 8200,
but not for e+
-> digitization issue? How does the number of photoelectrons depend on
beam position?

Evaluation of LED pulser data for gain monitoring: 10% decrease for
central crystal over long time. Short-term variations likely due
to rate dependence

e-(Moller) variation due to field change, beam pos change -> to be
reproduced in MC

Compare gain for LED on vs. off, compare LED gain with beam on/off

Best regards
   Michael