[Olympus] Phone conversation with Elke Aschenauer

Douglas K Hasell hasell at mit.edu
Thu Apr 2 15:49:10 EDT 2015

Hi,

	Elke contacted me this morning to arrange a time when we could talk about the OLYMPUS status.  We spoke together via Skype this afternoon.

	I related the following:

1. The 12 degree luminosity determination using just the MWPC is looking very good.  Brian is trying to add GEM information.  Discussions with Alexander Kisselev were very useful.

2. SYMB luminosity measurement shows an 8-9% asymmetry that Colton and Dmitry (recently at MIT) are working to understand.  Suspicion is that the MC simulation may have a problem.  Unclear if this will be solved by the PRC.

3. Track reconstruction has improved significantly.  Comparison between MC generated tracks and reconstructed tracks are very good except at the acceptance boundaries.  However, track reconstruction is still very slow, on the order of 15 Hz / cpu.  We are using the MIT Holyoke facility because it is free and convenient to use (Tier 2 and DESY not so easy to develop analysis on).  However, because of the slow track reconstruction we will only be able to reconstruct on the order of 20% of the data in time for the PRC.

4. We expect to have preliminary results for the PRC but possibly not down to the smallest epsilon bins and using just the 12 degree lumi determination.

5. She was still concerned about manpower.  I explained that there was still participation in the meetings from most of the groups but other than occasional contributions from AANL the analysis effort was basically at MIT with active help from Lauren from ASU and Dmitry from Mainz and suggestions from Michael from HU.

6. I also explained that we recently had a very useful meeting at ASU and that we are planning to have Lauren and Dmitry back to MIT in the summer to finalise the analysis.

7. Goal is to have good, final ratios in time for the DNP meeting at Santa Fe.

	She will be at the GHP meeting in Baltimore.  I said Lauren and Colton would be there too so try not to contradict too much of what I told her today.

	Overall I think Elke was satisfied with where we are now and our plans for PRC and for finishing.  We agreed to talk again in about a month closer to the PRC meeting.

	In the meantime I urge everyone to make what I promised real.

Cambridge, MA 02139, USA                      E-mail: hasell at mit.edu