[Olympus] momentum spectrum

Brian S. Henderson bhender1 at MIT.EDU
Tue May 13 11:14:01 EDT 2014

Hello all,

To follow up, I was able to isolate the problem in the MWPC digitization =

which caused the strange MC momentum distributions in Kirill's =

presentation yesterday.  The gist of the problem was that MC hits were =

smeared as single 2D hits, rather than as 1D hits in each plane (which =

is what happens in the real detector).  This caused the hit error to be =

overestimated for certain combinations of all three wires, which led to =

the excessive broadening of the MC momentum distribution that we saw.  =

This effect was hidden prior to the geometry change by the geometry =

errors to a certain extent, and does not show up when the GEMs are =

included since their resolution dominates and "over-smeared" MWPC hits =

have less effect on the tracking.

I have attached a plot showing the results for a single run (7909), with =

the quickest improvement to the MWPC digitization that I could think =

of.  Rather than taking a single 2D hit in the MWPC middle plane as the =

old MWPC digitization did, I take the three individual plane hits, smear =

them individually, and reconstruct a 2D hit in the same fashion as is =

done in real data. As you can see, this improves the agreement between =

real data and MC significantly (although of course it can still be =

improved, especially since this was the quickest/easiest improvement I =

could think of).

This issue further highlights the need to move to the use of 1D MWPC =

hits only rather than 2D hits, as I have alluded to in previous =

meetings.  I will make this my top priority so that analyses using the =

MWPCs can continue with minimal delay.

Brian