[Olympus] Talk for PANIC 2014

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Sun Aug 17 12:52:45 EDT 2014

Dear Norik,

I think this is a very good set of slides.
Here's a few observations and comments:

Slide 2:
There's an additional blank character in bullet 2 after "Other".

Slide 3:
electric and magnetic charge distribution: I do not think it is common to
say 'magnetic charge'
-> ... reflect the distributions of charge and magnetization in the
nucleon

There's a blank character at the beginning of Bullet 5.

Slide 4:
I would recommend to increase the figure
Either drop the ">800 citations" or update it (the number is from several
years ago)

Proton Form Factors Ratio -> Proton Form Factor Ratio

Slide 5:
The font for tau and epsilon looks stretched compared to the Eq. before
Add blank space betwee "," and "\epsilon"

The two bullets have different size

Slide 6:
"\theta" in the Eqs. should be all upper case, like in the figure, for
both theta_e and theta^*, also for phi^*

Slide 7:
"Rosenbluth has large stat. and sys. uncertainties": Actually the
Super-Rosenbluth data by Qattan have a similar precision like the
polarized data up to 4 (GeV/c)^2. The question might be how accurate the
radiative corrections for the Qattan data are. It is the high-Q^2 SLAC
data that are less precise and accurate.

Slide 8:
The aspect ratio of the TPE diagrams is a lot squeezed

What does e^2 in the Eq. mean?
-> Should be "Re{} (real part of interference term)

The Blunden graphics for e+/e- is too small, and also blurry

Slide 10:
Figures are too small
Additional blank character between "in" and "early"
Drop "not resolved discrepancy" (all of the models that explain the
form factor discrepancy are consistent with the previous world data on
e+/e- due to their limited precision)

Slide 14:
Increase DESY figure

Slide 15:
Increase figure. Remove black vertical bar. Figure is also blurry.

Slide 16:
Moller ("\o")

Slide 18:
Maximum field -> Field operated at (maximum here refers to the maximum
value in the field distribution at 5000A, not the maximal possible field
-> Alternatively, add "at 5000 A"

Slide 19:
Track with 18 hits -> Tracks with up to 18 hits

Slide 20:
The font size has decreased from the previous few slides

Slide 21:
Indent the sub-bullets for better readability
low angles -> forward angles (or small angles)

Two independent tracking system -> Two independent tracking systems
Moller
-> Symmetric Moller/Bhabha monitor; "\o"

Slide 23:
Labels and numbers of the figure are not readable

Slide 24:
Add "e" and "p" labels to the observed peaks and bands for PID

Slide 25:
"Consistency between different experiments":
While for VEPP-3 and OLYMPUS the generators have been demonstrated to be
equivalent, it still remains to be established with the Jlab experiment.
The same generator can lead to radiative effects different in size for the
different experiments. So I would re-phrase it as
"Consistency of radiative corrections between different experiments
(VEPP-3, Jlab, OLYMPUS) desirable"

Slide 26:
Second bullet not evident from the figure
Numerical calculations -> Exact calculation

Slide 27:
epton -> lepton
the net observed effect (averaged over momentum resolution) is certainly
less than 10%. Shown here is only the effect in the generator, which uses
the exact momenta.

Slide 30:
YIELD -> YIELDS
I would not label this as "nice agreement" when it is only a reasonable
agreement with more detailed work in progress.

Slide 31:
very successful -> successful

Best regards
   Michael