[Olympus] End of OLYMPUS running

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Wed Jan 2 04:43:54 EST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

the last OLYMPUS run with DORIS beam (run 9505) has been completed today,
exactly 60 seconds prior to the official shutdown of DORIS at 8am on
January 2, 2013.

The preparation and running of OLYMPUS has been a major success, thanks to
the many contributions by all of you. I would like to particularly thank
our postdocs who have taken responsibility and worked tirelessly for two
years to make this happen. I would also like to thank our students who
have worked on OLYMPUS with all their dedication. Lastly, I would like to
thank all of the OLYMPUS collaborators, as well as DESY with the
accelerator and machine groups for their support for OLYMPUS.

DORIS has been performing beyond expectations with a very high running
efficiency. The essential key for achieving our luminosity goal has been
the established top-up running mode in combination with the second
level trigger, thus allowing to increase the target density by factors.
To our knowledge, OLYMPUS has been the first internal-target experiment
ever to be run in top-up mode.

The unusual run extension over Christmas and New Year, a gracious offer
made by the accelerator group, has also been an important element
that helped to achieve and exceed our goal for the integrated luminosity.
We have acquired over 4 fb^-1 in this beamtime, and more than 3.6 fb^-1
with defined conditions and positive toroid polarity.

We have switched to cosmics data taking today, which will continue for the
month of January. We will now be shifting our focus to the analysis, which
will progress with high intensity this and likely next year as well. Let's
look forward to producing a significant and robust result that will last.

A happy and successful new year 2013 to everybody!

    Michael, in behalf of OLYMPUS