[Olympus] 4.5 GeV Testrun Results

Alexander Winnebeck winnebec at MIT.EDU
Thu Aug 16 04:24:42 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

as discussed on Monday we made some tests at 4.5 GeV yesterday. Here are the results:
- Beam life time approx. twice better for the same flow compared to 2 GeV (double the luminosity at the same tau)
- Magnet at 5000A does still a count rate reduction of a factor of 4
- Scrapers are of no big use (~10%), only inner ones can be used, the outer would melt
- Total signal to noise amplitude in the WC is only 2:1 (5:1 at 2 GeV) and inner chamber x3 rates
- The eventdisplay reveals large fired regions in the WC for a single track (>10 cells/chamber) most of the time, and almost nothing for others.

However, as I have reported last week I do not trust the old WC plugin, which is used in the EventDisplay, because it generates some strange drift times for me. Therefore the WC group should look into run 4261 and later to figure out if the data is useful or if the noise in the chamber is a show stopper.
The second thing is to clearly define the goal of the 4.5 GeV run. No dreaming or gut feelings.
Then it is important to make a realistic estimation how much statistic/time we would need for this measurement.

We should have all this information for the PRC readiness review, even so they won't want us to plan for 4.5 GeV while the 2 GeV data is not on disc yet.

Cheers,

Alexander

--
Dr. Alexander Winnebeck
winnebeck at mit.edu<mailto:winnebeck at mit.edu>

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Bldg 26 / Rm 441
02139 Cambridge, MA, USA
Tel: +1-617-253-6580