[Olympus] To the OLYMPUS collaboration

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Mon Sep 19 20:18:13 EDT 2011

Dear Colleagues and Collaborators,

we have meanwhile gotton as far with the OLYMPUS project as never before.
The goal of a successful first production run in January seems to be in
reach.
However, many problems are still remaining, just to mention TOF, Wire
Chambers and Slow Control. There are many tasks in other subsystems as
well. Their solution needs dedication and commitment.

Too much of the load has been resting on Alexander Winnebeck recently who
has been doing a tremendous job of coordinating and debugging of many
subjects that are not even his assigned responsibility.
However, Alexander will have to focus on the GEM tracker in the near term.

It is therefore very important that
-the coordinators provide the leadership in their field of responsibility
and be present and available for the debugging until all problems
are solved
-deadlines are met (upcoming: October test and PRC)
-the detector and raw analysis are in functional shape as soon as possible

It is no less important in this pressure phase that
-we retain a respectful and collaborative atmosphere
-talk to each other openly and stay focused on the subject
-find agreeable solutions that are then pursued together

We have a weekly meeting on Mondays at 16:00 that should be attended by
everyone onsite and offsite, and at least by a representative of every
group. This meeting is dedicated to assess open issues and to avoid or
clarify any misunderstandings.

Our strength is our collaboration. Let's do it together!

Best regards
   Michael

| Dr. Michael Kohl                                                  |
| Assistant Professor                | Staff Research Scientist     |
| Physics Department, Olin / Rm. 414 | Jefferson Laboratory, C117   |
| Hampton University                 | 12000 Jefferson Avenue       |
| Hampton, VA 23668                  | Newport News, VA 23606       |
| U.S.A.                             | U.S.A.                       |
| Phone: +1-757-727-5153             | +1-757-269-7343              |
| Fax:   +1-757-728-6910             | +1-757-269-7363              |
| Email: kohlm at jlab.org                                             |
| Cell:  +1-757-256-5122                                            |